Lop Buri
About Lop Buri

Built during the Tawaravadee Period, Lop Buri Province is one of the oldest cities in Thailand. Tourist attractions in the province include Pa Sak Jolasid Dam, the longest earthen reservoir in Thailand, and Khao Wong Phrachan, considered the highest mountain of Lop Buri, which both provide breathtaking views and great atmosphere. Other interesting places to go are Phra Kan Shrine, Phra Prang Sam Yod (Monkey Temple), Phra Narai Ratchaniwet, and so on.

When visiting Lop Buri, Thailand, don’t forget to shop for famous local goods such as white clay filler, salted dug eggs, and nata de coco or coconut gel from fermented coconut water.

How to go

Bangkok – Lop Buri buses, both air-conditioned and non-air-conditioned, are offered at the Mo Chit Bus Terminal every day. The journey takes around one hour. For more information, call 1490, 0 2936 3660, or 0 2936 3666, or visit www.transport.co.th.

Most people arrive in Lop Buri via train from Ayutthaya or Bangkok. The Lop Buri train station is within walking distance to both hotels and the major historical attractions.

Trains heading south toward Ayutthaya (1 hour) and Bangkok leave throughout the day, roughly every hour between 5am and 9.00 p.m. Rapid and express trains between Lop Buri and Bangkok take about three hours, while ordinary trains take about 4½ hours.

Trains heading north from Lop Buri stop at Phitsanulok on their way to Chiang Mai. There are roughly hourly departures between 8am and 3pm and again from 8.00 p.m. to 11.00 p.m.

For more updated schedules and reservations, call 1690, 0 2223 7010, 0 22237020 or visit www.railway.co.th


Phra Narai Ratchaniwet

The palace was built in 1665 and 1677, when King Narai the Great decided to make Lop Buri the second capital of the Ayutthaya Kingdom. Although the buildings were designed by with the contributions of French architects, the Khmer influence was still strong.

Phra Narai Ratchaniwet

Wat Sao Thong Thong

Situated on Rue de France, to the north of Phra Narai Ratchaniwet, this western style viharn was believed to have originally been built by King Narai the Great as a church for Christian envoys. It was subsequently restored by King Narai the Great, who ordered the replacement of Thai windows with Western-style windows with Gothic-designs in the secondary chapel. Later on, the viharn was converted into a Buddhist temple. It contains a large seated Ayutthaya-style Buddha image. In addition, assorted Lop-Buri style Buddha images can be found on the surrounding walls.

Wat Sao Thong Thong

Wichayen House

The Vichayen House was built at the royal command of King Narai the Great. It initially served as a residence of Chevalier de Chaumont, the first French ambassador to Thailand during the reign of King Louis XIV.

Wichayen House