The land of elegant palaces, a magnificent royal garden, Koh Kret’s famous pottery, notably old and beautiful temples, delicious durian, and a gorgeous city hall.
Nonthaburi has been inhabited for over 400 years, dating back to the time when Ayutthaya was the capital of the kingdom. The town was originally located at Tambon Baan Talat Khwan, a famous fruit orchard through which the Chao Phraya River and various canals pass. King Prasat Thong ordered the digging of a canal as a shortcut from the south of Wat Thai Muang to Wat Khema because the old waterway flowed into Om River to Bang Yai then to Bang Kruai Canal next to Wat Chalo before ending in front of Wat Khema. After the new shortcut was completed, the Chao Phraya River changed its flow into the new route that it follows to this day. In 1665, King Narai the Great noticed that the new route gave enemies too much proximity to the capital. Therefore, he ordered that a fortress be built at the mouth of Om River and relocated Nonthaburi to this area. While the fortress was demolished during the reign of King Rama III so that the bricks could be used for the construction of Wat Chalerm Phra Kiat, a city shrine still stands on the site.
Nonthaburi is situated in a fertile basin on the bank of the Chao Phraya River, where many fruit and flower plantations are interspersed with a number of historical temples. The town is only 20 km from Bangkok and is conveniently accessible by road or river. The history of Nonthaburi dates back to the Ayutthaya Kingdom as it is strategically located along the Chao Phraya River. The provincial slogan sheds light on the attractions in Nonthaburi, mentioning the Grand Royal Mansion, acclaimed Royal Garden, pottery of Koh Kret, beautiful temples, tasty durians, and the magnificent government hall.